It was my birthday last week, I’m now 24.. which is nearly a quarter of a century old, my mind is blown haha. I saw some people on Youtube doing a ’20 pieces of advise for 20 years’ videos, and it got me thinking about what I’ve learnt in my 24 turbulent yet exciting years. Maybe in another 24 years when I am 48 I can make a new list of the things I’ve learnt then and compare:
- Just because someone is a friend, doesn’t mean they are a good one. If a friend is causing you more stress than happiness, it’s time to let go.
- Go to every gig, festival, event you humanly can, you will make amazing memories and meet some fantastic people.
- Don’t stay in a job that makes you unbearably unhappy, it’s best to earn less money and be happy than be minted but sad.
- Don’t feel guilty for getting closure for something that happened in the past.
- Don’t let anyone dictate your decisions, you will ultimately regret it.
- Save, save, save. As soon as you have some spare pennies, save it into a Savings Account in the bank, it’s surprising how even the smallest bit of change can add up.
- Treat yourself. Buy yourself that new CD, that taster session of a new sport, that new flavour of ice-cream etc – as long as it doesn’t break the bank it’s worth it.
- If you can’t love yourself, learn to accept yourself… you are doing the best you can, and you are worth it.
- Social media likes aren’t everything.
- Don’t stay in an unhappy/unhealthy relationship, amazing things may happen once you leave.
- Stick by your morals, be proud of them.
- If you feel you need help, don’t ever be afraid to seek it.
- It’s okay to dream but don’t let those fantasies take over real life.
- Be passionate about issues close to your heart and educate others about them.
- Never stop learning.
- Find a hobby or hobbies and put your all into it/them.
- Don’t let the miniscule things get to you, you won’t remember most of these problems in 1, 5 or 10 years.
- Surround yourself with people that bring happiness, substance and laughter to your life, choose your tribe.
- Don’t get caught up in other people’s drama, it will soon become your drama too.
- Not everyone is going to like you, and you won’t always like other people either. Trust your instincts on others though.
- Read… whether that be fiction, educational books or magazines. Reading is great for stress free downtime and can make you smarter.
- Drink more water, it maintains regularity within the body and can also boost your immune system.
- Get your nose pierced, dye your hair stupid colours, wear clothes out of your comfort zone.. you don’t have to keep any of these things but you might discover something you like.
- Never be ashamed of your past, those experiences have made you the person you are today and these experience give you the ability to educate and help others in similar situations.
Thanks for reading, let me know what you’ve all learnt in your years on this Earth!